Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Top 5 memories that remind me of my parents and of growing up in small-town Kentucky

I’m sure there are many more glamorous places to celebrate Christmas than a little town in Kentucky, but I suspect the special memories of my holidays there pretty much match any that can be shared – actually, I suspect they exceed most others immeasurably.

I grew up in Hartford, Ky., a small town in the western part of the state, which boasts 2,000 people and that at the time, was the largest town in the county. Most Christmas traditions revolved around the church. Each domination had their own traditions – but at that time of the year, there was crossover in attending the different religious events – we were all just celebrating the most wonderful time of the year.   

The memories of these days are among my most vivid as a child, so here are the top five recollections that most remind me of my parents and of growing up in that special Midwestern corner of our great country.

1. We didn’t have a lot of money and neither did our extended family – especially my maternal grandparents Pop and Honey who lived next door to my parents when I was born. They were the only grandparents I knew since my Daddy’s Mom died when he was six and his Dad when I was a year old. Even though there wasn’t a lot of money for extra things, Honey always had what I refer to as that “old-time hard candy that has holiday designs that show all way through the pieces.” The candy was placed in small decorative bowls around their tiny house – and I thought it was magical. I wondered at the time how the candy was produced (and now thanks to the Food Network’s “Candy Unwrapped,” we can find out).

2. Food, of course, was a significant part of the holiday. From middle school on, we always went to Florida for Thanksgiving. In those days, fresh fruit didn’t travel as much within the states so having citrus in Kentucky at Christmas was a big deal. Each Thanksgiving before leaving Florida, my parents would stop at one of the roadside stands around Clermont and buy huge bags of grapefruit, navel oranges and tangelos (my Mommy’s favorite). With careful storage, these fruits would last well into the Christmas season and would end up being delivered to various friends and family. (Today, my order of Indian River Fruit Company’s grapefruit, navel oranges and tangelos arrived at our apartment – I can’t NOT order each year).

3. As I mentioned earlier, many of my Christmas memories revolve around our church. Growing up, that church was Hartford First Baptist. It’s hard to count all the memories that exist within that classic Baptist sanctuary: the beautiful Living Christmas tree with countless adults, young people and children singing classic holiday songs; our hand bell choir performing “Carol of the Bells” (Google if you haven’t seen a hand bell choir perform) and numerous other carols; and for me, the many Christmas mornings I played the organ for the service – the beautiful carols, preludes and offertories that celebrated the holiday season (note: I’d work for months perfecting the preludes and offertories). I still remember when I played a very simple version of “Away in a Manger” – literally the melody – as people filed out of the service. My Mommy cried.

4. Speaking of Pop and Honey, I also remember their cedar Christmas tree and the amazing lights and ornaments that dressed it each year. They had these amazing vintage bubbling lights that were just mesmerizing to me. I bought similar lights years later after Larry and I had our Christmas tree in Gainesville, but they were nowhere near as beautiful (plastic versus stunningly gorgeous glass lights). I also vividly remember the icicles hanging from the branches and the way the colored lights reflected on the silvery tinsel. As a child, I tried to be so patient in hanging each icicle individually instead of just throwing a handful on the tree. Not sure if I succeeded.

5. Another memory of mine is of going caroling (and visits from carolers). Yes, people actually went caroling in those days.  Sometimes we’d get a group together and go caroling in a neighborhood, but more often, we’d go to Ohio County Hospital or one of the nursing homes. In addition to singing, sometimes we’d take the aforementioned bell choir and play an amazing repertoire of Christmas music to the residents. As you can probably tell, Christmas music is buried deep within my soul.

Honestly for me, there isn't anything more special than Christmas in a small town. Maybe this post will make you think of those Christmas memories that are most special to you. Love from our Vettel family to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment